Saturday, May 17, 2014

Balled Bowl

This week was my last week in sculpture! ): I had an amazing year and have learned so much from my teacher, Mr. Runge, who will be missed A LOT. Thanks so much for everything and teaching me how to sculpt!!

 In my final week, I glazed my tree head and shoe. I finished the rose completely and began a bowl/ plate. I used a bowl mold for which I put clay on. After I made the bowl, I realized I needed some sort of texture. I added little balls of squished clay to give it a pebbled look. I slowly smoothed it out but not too much. I hoped to do the same to the inside but, sadly, did not have much time. See you guys next year! 


Friday, May 9, 2014

Rose Candle Holder

This week in sculpture I worked on a project of my choice. I had a hard time deciding on what to make. In the end I decided to make a candle holder shaped like a rose. I enjoyed making the rose very much, and I am very happy with how it is turning out. The petals were fairly easy as I took round balls and just flattened them out and attached them. I gradually incrased the size of the petals making the flower slowly get bigger. I think I might even carve into to when it becomes a little more dry. I wanted ot make the rose candle holder for Mother's Day but that might be a little too close. 

Thursday, May 1, 2014

FINISHED VESSEL

This week in sculpture, I finished my vessel. I love the way it turned out and it may actually be my favorite piece! I put on the elevated leaves for more texture and I love the way it looks. I was going to add more but decided that it would look better simple. I also smoothed out the vessel to make it have a cleaner look. The leaves were very difficult to make and they kept falling of the pot but I am very glad with how it turned out in the end. 

Saturday, April 26, 2014

Vessel Start

This week I was very determined to create a bowl shaped vessel. I started this by doing something like coiling. I used mini coils to create the shape. I stacked the coils on top of each other and slowly went in to form the pretty shape. The bowl ended up being tilted soo I decided to make the vessel a tilted bowl. I also cut out the base of the vessel to make it look more flowy. I will shape the base into a heart to symbolize that the vessel holds love! Then I curved the top out as well to finish the look. Next week, I will start adding texture to my piece! I am very excited on how my piece is turning out and I can't wait to see how it will look!

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Finished Lantern

This week, I finished my lantern!! I carved into the base which took a while! I was aiming for a root type of feeling. I wanted to make the carvings on the base look like wavy roots that are going into the ground. I really love the way the lantern turned out because it is soo different! Sadly, the lantern snapped and broke! :( Luckily, it was a very clean brake and can be easily glued. I also used sandpaper and softened the sides of my piece. I'm excited to glaze it and see how it will turn out! 

Friday, April 11, 2014

Continuation Lantern

This week in sculpture, I continued my Japanese Lantern. My piece broke because when I put it away the lantern would constantly fall apart as I moved it as carefully as I could. I was devastated when it broke, but it did not stop me from continuing. I re-rolled out a clay slab and made a new piece. I also created a flower which I added on top of the left side of clay. I put a swirl on the right side of the clay. I engraved some designs on top of the flower. I also started to engrave on the stem of the flower. I left the piece out to dry so that I can continue to carve into the base on Monday. 

Saturday, April 5, 2014

Japanese Lantern Improved

This week was full of difficulties for the japanese lantern that I made. When I opened my bag, the whole top half of the curved arc of clay broke and fell over. Luckily this happened because I realized that the clay wan't hollow anymore. I did hollow it out in the beginning, but it closed together when I was shaping it and molding it to fit on the stand. I realized that the house on top of the lantern is very boxy, and I decided to replace it with a flower. The flower has room inside in order to put a candle. I am not quite sure yet what I will be doing on the other side of the curved arc.